Thursday, April 17, 2008

The powerlessness of suggestion

I'm starting to think that parenting is mostly about outsmarting your little one. They're constantly tossing you curve balls and you have to figure out over and over how to regain control.

For example, if I go to the pantry and start naming healthy dinner suggestions, hoping to get a little toddler input, she shoots them down one by one. "Would you like some green beans?" "No." "Carrots?" "No." "Peas." "No." She loves all these things, but what she loves more is having veto power. Spence says, don't ask, just put it on her tray. But that's almost certain to invite rejection.

So, one day, in a rare moment of genius, I casually set a container of carrots on the counter (how 'bout that alliteration?) I didn't say a word, just waited for her little eagle eyes to spot them. Worked like a charm. Whose idea was it -- Mama's or Caroline's?

I'm sure there's a textbook out there with tricks like that, but until I find it, I'll take credit for this one.

6 comments:

Holly said...

That is incredibly cute! :D

Kelli TenHaken said...

Nice work- I am taking notes :)

Lori said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Lori said...

Sorry, I had to delete that last one because apparently I cannot spell. What I meant to say was...
Whatever it takes! You are too cute, I love it!

SEG said...

lori- that is so funny and SO right. when eden had her tonsils out, she did not want to drink because it hurt and of course not drinking was the worst thing for her...tough love was not working so i casually sat down beside her with some chicken noodle soup in a mug and began eating it myself...she said "what's that?" and I said, "oh, just some soup i made for MYSELF, you wouldn't like it." She insisted she would and I proceeded to get the entire cup of fluid into her without her knowing it- I fed her little bites and acted like I didn't care at all whether she wanted it or not! You gotta do what you gotta do!!!

Jeremy and Allison said...

I found it always works well to give a choice between two items. Just another way to trick them into thinking they're in control!