Sunday, June 26, 2011

Better

My back is better. It still looks like a hickey fest, but it's much better. Was it the acupuncture and cupping? I think so, but I don't know for sure. Just like I don't know for sure my bed was the culprit.

I've always wanted to believe alternative and holistic therapies are superior to traditional medicine that tends to take the form of a pill. Something that gets to the root of the problem, not just cover it up. But honestly, I think it takes a combination of all that. For 3 weeks I took 2400 mg of ibuprofen a day just to function. After that I decided to tackle it from all angles: better bed, more stretching, ab exercises, massage, and in 3 more weeks another acupuncture session. I'm not sure what bag of tricks she'll pull out next time, but I'm going for it.

Maybe I'll become an advocate of cupping and recommend it to everyone. Yes, you can handle it.

2 comments:

Norma said...

So frustrating not to know for sure what helped. Good news is you're not hurting now.

The Lost Planetista said...

Those cupping bruises are CRAZY! Holy cow!

I had a similar experience: this spring I hurt my neck and shoulder very very badly. It was horrible. I was at the chiropractor/accupuncturist twice a week for two months. As time rolled along, however, I realized that if I changed the side of the bed I slept on it might help. Guess what? My problem went away within a few days of changing sides. I'd literally been waking up on the wrong side of the bed that whole time. I know the chiropractics and acupuncture helped- no question- but it wasn't able to fix the root of the problem. In that way, what fixed me really was a holistic approach.

I hope you continue to feel better! :)