Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Leo Dawit Inman...

...is ours! We breezed through the embassy after a little disturbance when a man fainted in line. Dawit stayed awake until the man at the window said, "Congratulations." And two seconds later, he was out. I know you're dying for a photo, and I may be able to post one later today. Technology here is sketchy at best. On the way to the embassy appointment yesterday, we decided on Dawit's name. However, we are calling him Dawit. 

The first day he was curious but tentative. Yesterday he started smiling and today he's all smiles and giggles. So far he's been incredibly easy. He eats like his sister, loves to babble. He has the cutest little curly mohawk. He sleeps about 8 hours, then has a bottle, then sleeps 2 more. We're eager to extend that! The best thing we packed is Mylicon. When he eats our American cereal, which he loves, he gets gas and he screams louder than anything I've ever heard. Caroline's gas cries had nothing on this boy's lungs.

Later I'll post a day-by-day account of our adventures, but wanted to give you a few tidbits on our little bundle. We are having so much fun with him and in Ethiopia. Yesterday we met Mesay, the young man we sponsor through Yezelalem Minch, and his brother. It was great. Dan, Shadley's husband, showed them iPhoto, and made everyone crack up. We had a wonderful visit with a translator from YM. Mesay is so handsome and his brother is a little joker. You'll see the pictures soon. Mesay's brother needs a sponsor if anyone is interested. I can send you some pretty hilarious photos of him. I don't know his age, but I guess 8.

We're getting ready to eat a traditional Ethiopian breakfast and visit YM. This afternoon we'll go to Gelgela and tonight a traditional Ethiopian dinner and dance.

Can't wait to show you our giggle box. We love him!

12 comments:

Jeremy and Allison said...

Yeah!! Thrilled for you!!

Judy said...

We can't wait to see photos or better yet to see your little giggling boy in person. Sounds like you are doing and seeing lots of things. Have fun and be ready to tell us all about your adventures. Caroline talks about Dawit and she says "I will read to him."

Margaret said...

Oh LORI! Dewit sounds just WONDERFUL!! I LOVE the name Leo!!! Strong, sturdy and unique....PRAISE GOD that you are having such a wonderful time! Looking forward to seeing your little man soon!! :) HUGS!

Holly said...

Yay for an update! I'm glad the embassy appt. was a breeze! :) Can't wait to see a picture of Dawit. :)

Norma said...

Congratulations, Lori and Spence. We hang on every word about our first grandson. What a blessing that he is laid back, a good sleeper, and a hearty eater! His name has character and we're thrilled that you will call him Dawit. Can't wait to meet him. Love to all.

Beth said...

I love reading your posts and your son's name! Leo Dawit is a great name!

Eastiopians said...

Wonderful name! So great that he is your little bundle of love and that you have him in your arms. Also very cool that you were able to meet your sponsored child and his family! Thanks for the post updates!!!!

Anonymous said...

Yippee!!! We are so excited to meet our new nephew - and glad you all are having such a great trip. See you soon!

Amy and Steve

aunt al said...

I'm so glad you got to meet your sponsored son! That is too cool. And I love hearing about Dawit's little habits. Can't wait to see the mohawk. Poor baby is going to be fought over when he reaches the states. Safe travels!

Lori said...

Yeah Leo!!! That is my dads names, so I love it! I can't wait to see more pictures!!!

kterhaar3 said...

I love his name!!! I can't wait to see pics.

Karla said...

Wow! I am so excited for you and your family! Congratulations on your new baby boy!!!!! I have been praying for you!

Warmly,
Karla McKinney