Sunday, January 16, 2011

Doro wat recipe


Here's the recipe I mention in my previous post. It's "borrowed" from someone I can't remember or I would give credit. I've always made it with niter, so I'm not sure if it would be as flavorful with just butter. Enjoy!

Doro Wat (Spicy Chicken Stew)
1½ lb. chicken (I like to use boneless thighs)
1 cup onion (diced)
1 Tbs. Garlic (minced)
2 Tbs. lemon juice
¼ cup butter or niter kebbeh
1 tsp. salt
¾ cup chicken stock or broth
1 tsp. ginger
¼ cup red wine (dry)
½ tsp ground fenugreek
¼ cup berbere (reduce to a couple TBL to lessen spiciness)
½ tsp cardamom
1 tsp paprika
¼ tsp nutmeg
4 eggs (hard boiled)
1 8oz can tomato sauce

Marinate chicken for 1 hour in lemon juice. Remove and pat dry. Brown onions in a pan with little or no oil. Add Niter or butter, stock, wine, tomato sauce and all spices and mix well. Add chicken and cook for 30-40 minutes. If sauce is too thick, add water or stock; if thin, make a rue. Pierce eggs with fork and add to pan. Cook for another 15 minutes.