Monday, October 11, 2010

Ambitious

Friday, my husband embarked on an adventure that can only be described as ambitious. (Oh wait, more than one person also described it as crazy, insane, what is he thinking, and will he really make it a week?) It doesn't surprise me much, because Spence regularly bites off more adventure than I can chew.

Because it was fall break for Caroline and I'm working long hours, he loaded up the kids, a week's worth of supplies, gear, clothes and food and headed to Dale Hollow lake to canoe camp in a primitive campsite on an island called Big Goat. His goal: to return home (hopefully sane) next Friday.

With his canoe filled above the gunnels and the kids wedged in there somewhere, he paddled 30+ minutes to the island from the boat dock to set up his mini kiddy city. The only non-motor craft on the lake, he carefully balanced his teetering load over speed boat wakes. From the time he landed Friday afternoon until I arrived at the boat dock Saturday morning for my ferry to the island, he worked non-stop setting up camp and tending to the demands of two always-hungry children. They paddled over and picked me and my overnight bag up about 11a Saturday, and we headed back to the island.

Part 2 coming soon...